What is Pay Per Click Advertising?
At some point during a Google search, you have likely seen paid advertisements. The reason so many businesses choose to utilize these paid listings is because they show results, quickly. As a business seeking to gain online exposure, a pay per click advertisement could be the fastest way to gain exposure for your products or services.
Paid advertising allows you to pre-qualify potential customers and show them very specific, targeted messaging. It works by only requiring the advertiser to pay for clicks on their advertisements. These advertisements are only shown when a list of keywords are searched for. Pay Per Click advertisements account for nearly two-thirds of the clicks in a Google Search Engine Results Page.
These paid advertisements take up the first 1-3 spots on a Search Engine Results Page. These advertisements almost always fall above the fold, meaning there is no scrolling on the page to view them. Each time an advertisement is shown, it is called an impression. Paid advertisements are ideal for someone who is ready to purchase a product or service.
Why Use Pay Per Click Advertising?
Reasons Paid Search is Right for Your Organization:
- You have a local business that would benefit from geo-targeted advertisements
- You need to quickly drive traffic to your website for a time sensitive goal
- You need to test the performance of specific pages on your website
- You do not know which phrases to optimize your website around
- You have a seasonal campaign that needs exposure during very specific times
- You have a budget of $500-$1000 to spend on online marketing
What are the types of Pay Per Click Advertising?
There are a few different types of Paid Search Offerings from Google. These include:
- Traditional Paid Search Advertisements: These are found on the top and right hand column of the Search Engine Results Page. These are typically highlighted in a light yellow box.
- Remarketing Advertisements: These advertisements allow companies to track a visitor to their website on different websites, displaying relevant banner advertisements.
- Click-to-Call Advertisements: These advertisements are specifically for mobile devices, allowing a customer to call a business using a paid listing at the top of a Search Engine Results Page on a mobile phone.
- Site Links: These advertisements offer multiple opportunities to click to the paid advertiser’s website using one advertisement. This increases the chances that a relevant link is shown, therefore increasing the likelihood that it will be clicked by the searcher.
- Location Extensions: These advertisements display specific location information to local searchers, including a phone number or address.
To get started with Pay Per Click Advertising, you need a budget, a page on your website you want to drive traffic to, a list of keywords relevant to that page and specific call to action buttons that will help drive traffic to areas on your website where conversions can happen. These conversions can be tracked in Google AdWords, along with many other metrics. Pay Per Click campaigns require research, testing, and optimization in order to be most successful. Before investing a significant amount of money into Paid Search Advertisements, make sure you are spending every penny effectively.
Talk with the experts at Full Media to learn how we can optimize an AdWords Campaign for your business.